CLUB NEWS & EVENTS
General Club News
- We are now holding our committee meetings at the club pavilion and as decisions are made, we will keep members
up to date with details as soon as possible.
- The club committee has now trialled a Club Online Booking System (COBS). It is intended that this will be an
option to the traditional Pavilion based fixture sign-up sheets, which will be retained for those members not
using COBS. The system is based on using the free Google Calendar facility and information on how to
use and take advantage of this facility has been circulated to members. If you require further information
please contact our Vice President Drummond Russel.
- Critical dates published by the government on Covid did influence our decisions for our 2021
bowling season. Outdoor hospitality was provided but we considered it unwise to provide our normal
catering for friendly fixtures with other clubs within our club pavilion. Club members are requested to look
out for club emails and this website club news page for more information for our 2022 season.
- In April and May we successfully held another 4 week Introduction to Bowls course on
behalf of the Haslemere U3A. Please contact our club President for further details.
- As always we welcome new members and our membership secretary can be contacted for further information
and an opportunity to come and try lawn bowls during our 2022 season.
- As usual the club green will be available most afternoons during the club 2022 bowling season for
roll-ups when members can enjoy practice and hone their playing skills. Our more experienced bowlers
are expected to help organise these events and provide help to beginners and our less experienced
Thursday afternoons tend to be a popular roll-ups day with sufficent members attending to allow triple play which provides the opportunity to gain experience, knowledge and skills in playing in all positions of triple play, which is the usual format when enjoying bowling with other clubs during our Fixture progamme.
Fixture Matches and Events
- Our 2022 Fixture Event programme can be viewed on this website Fixture Page and is kept updated with any event changes as the season progresses.
- The League Match fixtures for 2022 can also be viewed by opening this website League Page.
- We have now started a programme of 5 club competitions for the 2022 season.
These competitions as usual were open to all club playing members irrespective of skill levels and provide
great enjoyment and the chance of holding one or more of the club's cherished trophies and your name on
the club's pavilion honours board.
The club competitions are of course competitive, however our competition secretary together with the club captain has endeavour to assign fair handicaps where appropriate and also the best balance for the pairs and triples competitions. This gives members with varying playing abilities a fair chance of winning apart from the Ladies' and Men's Singles were skill prevails.
The finals for all competitions are held in August including our Champion of Champions match where the men's singles winner plays against the ladies' singles winner. In our 2021 competions our president Judy Rix won in an exciting close match against men's single winner Leo Cash and is the clubs current club Champion of Champion.
- Our website Gallery Page contains photographs of our 2021 and other previous years finals players.
- Last years season ended with an Annual Lunch at the West Surrey Golf Club on the 30th October with Lynda Skeldon
the representive from our sponsors Leightons Opticians presenting the club trophies to the club
Photographs taken at this event are also contained in the website Gallery Page.
- Memorial Day
On the 7th August 2021 despite the rain we held our Memorial Day event and with the generosity
of members we raised over £300 for The Prostate Project based in Guildford.
Congratulations go to Richard Parker and Richard Sanders on winning the afternoon pairs event
with Dick Carn and John Mockridge being close runners up.
It was an enjoyable afternoon and the raffle, strawberry jam and cream scones provided by
the event organisers were very welcome.
Photo - Winners Richard Parker and Richard Sanders holding the Sanders Memorial Trophy
(see our Gallery page for more photos)
- Season's 1st Social Event - 16th March
Don Stacey idea for a "Crazy Whist" event was a great sucess and after providing a full tea and prizes it achieved a significant contribution to club funds.
- Club Lottery
For members' entertainment and also to provide some welcome funds in support of the club running costs, a fourth 20 week club lottery period is under way.
- Results -
Week 1 to 20 (7th Nov 2020 to 20th Mar 2021)
During this period the total prize monies was £200
7 winners with prize values from £10 to £50
Week 21 to 40 (17th Apr 2021 to 28th Aug 2021)
During this period the total prize money was £280
11 winners with prize values from £14 to £50
Week 41 to 60 (4th Sep 2021 to 15th Jan 2022)
During this period the total prize money was £300
10 winners with prize values from £15 to £45
Week 61 to 80 (22nd Jan 2022 to 4th Jun 2022)
During this period the total prize money is again £300
Week 61 - Shirley won £15
Week 62 - Richard won £15
Week 63 - Don won £15
Week 64 - Michael won £15
Week 65 - Carol won £15
Week 67 - Don won £30
Week 68 - Christine won £15
Week 69 - Thora won £15
Week 72 - Gary won £45
Week 73 - Peter won £15
Week 76 - Carol won £45
Week 80 - Don won £60
- NEW MEMBERS
The club welcomes the following members who have joined us for the 2022 bowling season -